Lockers with Timers: Hands Off Approach
How Lockers with Timers for Can Keep Users Satisfied
One of the biggest complaints about locker rooms is not being able to get a locker because they’re all in use. This causes problems for locker administrators also, when clever patrons reserve their preferred locker compartments by simply keeping it locked all the time, whether they’re using the locker or not.
There is one simple feature on digital lockers that can reduce the administrative burden of allocating lockers whilst simultaneously improving the Quality of Life for locker patrons: lockers with timers.
Types of Timers for Lockers
There are two types of timer options for lockers. Countdown timers and Clock timers.
- Countdown Timers: This is the most common timer available for lockers. It works by automatically unlocking the door a set period of time after the door was last locked. E.g. You could set the timer to open 8 hours after it was locked, to ensure shift workers take their belongings at the end of their shift.
- Clock Timer: This timer is less common as it requires that the lock has a clock built in and is keeping time. This feature means that the locker door will open at a set time every day. E.g. You may want your locker doors to all unlock at 10pm at night, ready for the next day of users.
Benefits of Lockers with Timers
1. How do patrons access the lockers without staff helping?
Digital Timer Locks are accessible by anyone when they are set up in “Shared User Mode” aka “Public Mode”. This means that when a patron types in their code of choice, the door is locked until they remove their belongings. When they remove their belongings, the code is wiped and the door remains unlocked until the next patron claims the door.
2. What if a user tries to keep a locker for themselves for extended periods of time?
This is where the timed unlock feature really shines. Once the door is locked, the timer starts, and can be customised to your specific needs. If you believe that 2 hours is more than enough time for all patrons, you can set the locker to automatically open after 2 hours. Anyone who leaves their belongings overnight can simply be cleared out by the next employee on shift. This will discourage patrons from trying to reserve the locker permanently. If you have opted for the real time clock version, the door will simply remain locked until the unlock time is reached. This can mean a patron will have a varying amount of access time. E.g. recently, a university purchased lockers from us with the requirement that the doors unlocked at 10am every morning. It didn’t matter if someone tried to claim a locker at 9am, it would unlock in an hour. However, anyone who claimed a locker from 10:01am onwards would have 24hours of use of their locker.
3. What if someone wants to be a jerk and lock all the doors?
Depending on your clientele (i.e. young lads who think stupid things are funny), you may be concerned about patrons locking all the doors, preventing other patrons from enjoying the lockers as intended. Thankfully, an automatic timer will limit the effect of this kind of prank. If it happens often, checking the cameras is easy enough to do. Our locks also feature master and technician code overrides to ensure your locker administrators or caretakers can reset a door if needed.
4. What if someone forgets the code for their locker?
Normally, this would be a deal breaker. Just like losing keys, forgetting the access code is a nightmare as your car keys, wallet and phone might all be inside the locker leaving the patron trapped. While this is definitely worth consideration, knowing it could be a problem helps find ways around it.
- Our recommended timer lockers such as the Gemini, Horizon and 3780 have double code entry requirement when locking the door. What does that mean? Whenever a user locks the door, they have to put the code in twice, just like a hotel safe. This is an elegant solution. It eliminates the risk of pressing an incorrect button and not realising. It also helps the locker user remember what they typed in.
- The trusty automatic unlock timer prevents users from having to wait too long. You could set the length to 1 hour, 1.5 hours, or 2 hours, and patrons would never have to wait longer than that to retrieve their belongings.
What Lockers Can be Configured with Timer Locks?
In short: all of our lockers can be manufactured to suit digital timer locks. From our mini phone lockers to our large utility lockers, and everything in between.
What Locks Have Timer Options?
At Hi Tech Lockers, we have one of the most comprehensive locker lock ranges in Australia. Our expertise in the field allows us to choose the right lock for your school, hospital, gym, or office. We will guide on the appropriate lock to suit the lockers you are having installed.
Below is some of our range. If you’re ready to add digital lockers to your facility, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find a locker that suits your requirements and budget.
Need a Custom Locker?
Do you need assistance with your upcoming locker purchase? Call us on 1300 17 55 99 or submit the form below and we'll be in touch.